As all Apple users know, the iPhone has its own maps app: the Apple Maps Route Planner. It was initially released in 2012, and it was launched to replace Google Maps as the default maps app. Although it had lots of criticism initially, this iPhone application has steadily been adding updates to answer this feedback. The company is in the process of improving the customers’ experience, and we can see the product’s quality steadily enhance.
The topic of this article is to find out if these updates and these categories of features will make it as part of the lists of favorites for delivery drivers. In other words, will it be a useful option? Does it stack with other products? Which of the mapping apps is the most valuable? Let’s find out!
Table of Contents
Overview of Apple Maps
At the time of writing this article, Apple is the most valuable company in the world. They have done this by creating an incredible system and platforms for a significant number of users. Their audience of Apple fans swears by their products. Apple invented many devices and software improvements, such as the smart phone, ios, the tablet, Siri, and more. They innovated new products and pioneered the “design-centric approach” of offering incredible user experience.
This approach means that the community of fans and anyone who has an iPhone often wishes to use the default application on the iPhone, for example, safari. A notable exception is Google Maps. Google Maps has more experience, depth, and data. For these reasons, it is considered to be the dominant maps app to get directions or the main navigation app.
Apple’s maps app does hold its own, let’s have a look at some of the features:
- Transit Information: Apple offers a transit information section, as well as transit schedules, transit directions, to allow you to get the direction needed to catch that bus. If they don’t support transit in your city, they can link to other apps.
- Supported Devices: One of the key distinguishing features is that you can use the tool across all your Apple devices (Mac computer, iPad, iPhone);
- Local search points of interest: You can get information on points of interest as a pit stop such as your favorite coffee shop, hotels, restaurants, family place, and more locations. You can also save locations and associate them with contacts.
- Siri Integration: One distinct feature is the Siri integration, only available on this map application.
- Navigation: The navigation feature includes different views, road waypoints, distance, turns, excellent audio instruction, road alternatives, 3D cities and buildings view, breakdown of steps, address details, and more.
What Features Do Delivery Drivers need?
Delivery drivers have specific needs that they need to cover. We have covered this already in the article below.
For more information:
Best Route Planner App for Delivery Drivers in 2020
For this article, we will do a quick recap of the critical features required for this type of application:
- Ability to add multiple stops: Generally, a delivery person will have ten or more stops a day. The ability to add numerous stops is critical to reaching the client faster;
- Real-Time Traffic Information: Traffic information is essential. A delivery driver wants to avoid these as much as possible;
- Easy Data Import: A driver that is doing multiple stops needs to input a lot of addresses. If a device offers ways to import this information quickly, it improves the arrival time;
- Alerts and Comments: A great application will also include a means to communicate with users. Ideally, there is an account that allows us to do this.
- Ability to Modify Routes: The ability to make changes on the fly is essential. The trip could take a turn with news of an urgent delivery. Coworkers could give you an update that means you need to change the journey and the order in which you visit the places.
Is It Useful for Delivery Companies?
The short answer is that Google Maps is the best free route planning application. The reason for this is that Apple cannot provide the essential functionalities required for delivery companies. For instance, it does not offer the ability to add multiple stops; it does not provide traffic information and cannot modify routes. There are some benefits. For instance, you can save addresses and integrate favorites addresses to contacts on your device.
It is straightforward to plan a route in Apple Maps. The way it works is that you simply type or select the destination location. Apple Maps will then show you the driving directions from your current location.
Yes, Apple Maps does have this feature. The route is optimized to move from your starting point to the next location. It can plan a path between two stops. It currently does not support routes that have multiple destinations or points.
In conclusion, if you are looking to get directions in maps, Google Maps is the way to go. The team at Cupertino has been working hard to improve their app. Although it is quite lovely aesthetically and has many useful features, this version does not compare (yet) to Google Maps (some even say they are catching up). One should never underestimate this tech giant; they have had shown technology and software breakthroughs in the past. We hope this article was useful or interesting to you. Please let us know if there’s anything else we can do for you!