Road trips are the best. But there is a lot of planning and organizing that goes into it, even if you are taking day trips to the nearest local town. Roadtrippers have to plan the best way to reach there, check the weather conditions, look for gas stations, fuel costs, places to eat and stay along your route, and the most significant plan of all is route planning and optimization.
While some road trips only have a single destination with a stop or two for refreshments, some road trips have multiple destinations. For such multi-destination road trips, you will need a tool to plan a route by adding multiple addresses.
This blog will discuss some of the best road trip route planner apps and some additional apps and tools that help you in different ways on your next road trip.
Table of Contents
Why is it Necessary to Have a Dedicated Road Trip Planner?
Out of all the arrangements you make, planning for the route is one of the most important as it will decide when you will reach your destination and what path you will choose. For this reason, it is imperative to have a dedicated route planner before you plan to embark on a road trip. Here are several other reasons why it is necessary to have a route planner for your next road trip.
- Planning a multi-stop route becomes more manageable
- Get turn-by-turn directions for each address on the plan
- Quickly delete, change, or reorder the stops on the route
- Get accurate information regarding the total distance and the time it takes to reach your destination. You can accordingly space out your breaks
- Get real-time updates regarding the traffic, road conditions, traffic incidents, and weather to get help in planning the next move
- A dedicated road trip planner allows users to plan and store multiple routes on their devices. Planning multiple or simultaneous trips becomes possible
- Share the routes you follow with your friends and family to keep them informed.
Top 10 Road Trip Route Planner Apps For Your Next Adventure
Check out some of the best route planner apps that will make your adventure a great one.
|Road Trip Planner Software||User Ratings||Top Features||Download|
|Upper Route Planner|
Google Maps route planner is the only free road trip planning tool. This company has dominated the web for a long time. Google has successfully built incredible products that are ubiquitous. Google Maps is one such product.
What can you do with Google Maps?
- Make a list of places and save them if you visit them frequently;
- You can send your real-time location to others and let them see where you are;
- Download an area map ahead of time if you know there will be no internet connection;
- Set your route preferences and try to avoid highways and ferries;
- Explore an area up close with Google Street View.
Upper Route Planner
Upper Route Planner is an easy-to-use route planning and optimization tool that can be used by Roadtrippers, independent drivers and contractors, truck drivers, and small and medium-sized businesses. Upper Route Planner aims for making route planning and optimizing simpler than ever.
What makes Upper Crew different from other apps?
- Multi-stop route planner for multiple drivers and two vehicles or more;
- One-click driver dispatch;
- Save time while covering more stops;
- Import multiple stops using Excel;
- Receive analytics and reports for insights;
- Generate proof of delivery by way of signature, notes, or photo capture.
This road trip route planner is developed using a human-centric design approach that makes it easier for the users to achieve good results using the optimization algorithm. Upper Route Planner helps users plan multiple routes with multiple stops for multiple drivers.
Plan quickly, deliver faster, delight customers and get home early.
Everyone deserves to have simple and easy route planning.
RoadTrippers app helps you find a plethora of cool spots like local dining spots, quirky roadside attractions, scenic points, national parks, and even hotels. They also offer awesome premade road trip guides.
Things you can do with RoadTrippers
- Plan your journey, find amazing places, and take fascinating detours;
- You can do a long trip journey without any hassle;
- Discover millions of places, like local diners and quirky roadside attractions, or scenic points, national parks, and hotels.
This road trip route app allows you to make your route planning easier. Just you have to create your road trip planning and share it with your friends and family members with whom you are going to travel. In addition, this road trip planning tool allows you and your travel buddies to share suggestions if they want.
GasBuddy app allows you to find the cheap gas price available in your nearby location. Gas prices can quickly add up to be a substantial cost on a road trip.
Unlike different apps, this great app allows you to have exclusive deals like saving an additional 15 cents per gallon on your first fill-up and 5 cents per gallon on every fill-up after that. But it applies only if you have GasBuddy Pay subscriptions.
Things that you can do with GasBuddy
- You’ll get an overall idea about the nearby gas stations available;
- You’ll get a chance to get gas rewards.
The good part about this road trip planner app is that it allows you to even filter gas stations by amenities like car washes, restaurants, and bathrooms.
Waze is an excellent tool for Roadtrippers to have around for several reasons. First, Waze offers practical solutions to help people make better choices on the road. It is a community-powered navigation app that offers real-time information like traffic updates, restaurants, stores, gas stations, gas prices.
All the information provided through this road trip route planner is crowd-sourced, so the chances of receiving relevant information increase. In addition, it allows users to pair with their favorite music app or voice assistant feature.
Things that you can do with Waze:
- You’ll receive alerts about traffic, police, hazards;
- You can even play music while travelling.
Waze is a free app and mapping software solution used by millions of travellers. It just works the same as Google Maps with some minor differences.
With its enlightened mapping technology, you can easily make your trip plan and drive with full fun and ease. In addition, this road trip route planner app makes it easy for you to stay informed of road conditions with quirky and colorful maps.
Routific’s route optimization algorithm aims to help drivers or users cover more stops in less time. It allows users to optimize routes using real-time factors like tight time windows and lunch breaks. As a result, it helps drivers save a lot of money on fuel.
Things you can do with Routific:
- View route information and delivery instructions;
- Share GPS location to your friends and family.
Many small to medium-sized businesses have made use of Routific to create and optimize daily delivery routes. It can help delivery businesses make efficient deliveries and create a good delivery experience, and it can make a successful road trip experience for a user trouble-free.
Circuit is built specifically for people traveling long distances and covering multiple stops in a single route daily. From independent contractors to drivers at some big courier companies, Circuit Route Planner plans and optimizes their daily routes.
Things you can do with Circuit
- Optimized routes to avoid traffic and backtracking;
- Mark priority destination stops.
Circuit offers seamless navigation to its users and has an impressive user interface. In addition, it allows individuals and businesses to plan routes with specific delivery constraints, which helps them create better-optimized routes for faster, efficient deliveries.
Spotify is the best companion you can ask for on a road trip. This music app is a must-have for your commute or long road trips, whether you are going alone or with many people. It has a wide variety of audio entertainment on offer.
Things you can do with Spotify
- Listen music while on your road trip;
- Make your own playlist and make your trip more entertaining.
You can choose from road trip playlists, podcasts, and audiobooks. It offers ready-made playlists curated by other users and Spotify itself to offer you the best listening experience. You can also choose to download the playlists for offline use.
With the Airbnb app, you will be able to book hotels, hostels, vacation homes, and experiences along your trip. It’s a great app to find a place to stay, whether you are planning or looking for a bed at the last minute.
Things that you can do with Airbnb
- Bookings made easy;
- You can easily make your hotel ready before you reach the destination.
It can quickly help you with the best place to stay, no matter your budget or preferences. You can get in touch with local hosts directly, which can be a great traveling experience. Customers who’ve previously stayed in these places write reviews on the app. This can help you make a decision.
Trip Advisor offers excellent flexibility and functionality to find spots to eat that can suit your preferences and your budget. The customer reviews on the app for each of the restaurants will help you make a better choice. It comes with a built-in navigation feature to get you to the restaurant of your choice. In addition to restaurants, users can look for hotels, holidays, attractions, and flights.
Things you can do with Trip Advisor
- Ease in finding the nearby spots to visit;
- Convenience in finding the nearby restaurants.
After looking at road trip planner apps with their features, you might come up with many questions. We have come up with frequently asked questions in the next section.
The best way to plan a road trip with multiple stops is by using a dedicated route planner. A route planner will put your locations on the map and optimize the route, find the fastest way of reaching your destination, and provide turn-by-turn navigation at the same time.
The right driving route planner for you will be the one that meets all your commute and navigation requirements. Most route planners have some basic similarities. But there are route planners specifically designed for delivery drivers, sales reps, and Roadtrippers. If you know the purpose you are using it for, you will easily make the right choice.
Be On Track With The Right Route Planning Solution
Having a proper route planner tool on your road trip will help you save a lot of time and money. If you are someone who wants to try it out without committing to a particular tool, you can sign up for a free trial.
On the other hand, if you regularly go on road trips, then having a route planning app like Upper Route Planner as a part of the planning tool kit will be of immense support to each of your endeavors. If you have questions, you can feel free to contact us.